January 9, 2018 – BOSTON – Today, OpenDataSoft, a software-as-a-service company that offers cities and private companies alike a turnkey data…
Transportation Open Data: opening your data enhances your citizens’ mobility
Today, sharing transportation Open Data is at the very heart of innovation: new ways of exploring territories, smart cities, disintermediation between customers and services…
In France, numerous transportation operators, public organizations and companies have already opened their transportation data for quite some time.
So, after the success of our French Cheeses Map, our investigating French trains Open Data and the launch of the new Toulouse Open Data portal we have decided to map a first sample of French transportation Open Data.
We gathered data from the following Open Data portals:
- Agen Open Data portal
- Bordeaux Open Data portal
- Corsica Open Data portal
- Greater Paris Open Data portal
- Greater Lyon Open Data portal
- PACA Open Data portal
- Montpellier Open Data portal
- Nantes Open Data portal
- Nice Open Data portal
- Paris Open Data portal
- RATP Open Data portal
- SNCF Open Data portal
- Rennes Open Data portal
- STAR Open Data portal
- Strasbourg Open Data portal
- Toulouse Open Data portal
Just click on the “<” sign in the upper-right corner of the map and browse through the different thematic tabs. To make it easy for you to reuse these datasets, we have gathered the exhaustive list below.
Mapping Transportation Open Data
All these transportation Open Data on a sleek map: super fancy isn’t it? Check it in full screen!
Opening Transportation Data: towards multimodal cities
Heterogeneity is the very nature of transportation data:
- Static data: parking lot, train stations, bus stop…
- Real-time data: bus position in real time, shared bikes availability…
Train stations as clusters
And their representation also varies:
- Geographical points: carsharing stations…
- Geographical lines: terminus to terminus tramway paths
- Geographic tiles: airports…
Bike lanes in Toulouse as paths
This heterogeneity constitutes the richness of open data. It also expresses in the variety of formats to handle: CSV, JSON, Excel, Shapefile…
Thus, developing the interoperability of these data appears as a structural need for smart cities. They must get rid of data silos and combine their data with third-party data in one integrated place.
To create this map, OpenDataSoft’s team used its turnkey solution’s federation capabilities. All OpenDataSoft customers are now part of a single integrated data network. They can share and enrich their data with third-party data (whether Open Data or pay data) in just a few clicks.
Regarding data sourced from producers outside OpenDataSoft’s network, we downloaded the data via the portals. Then we uploaded them onto our demo platform. The latter, being a part of our integrated data network, allowed us to seamlessly add Lyon’s data to our map.
Be API first: your data deserve attention
OpenDataSoft platform automatically transforms your datasets into Rest APIs. APIs ensure your data maximum availability and interoperability. Naturally, our APIs incorporate query capabilities, filtering and full-text search within datasets.
Soon to be documented with Swagger, OpenDataSoft’s APIs now have complete documentation, explicit points of entry, intuitive test consoles and a standardized description.
Are you a developer? Give OpenDataSoft’s APIs a go and see the difference for yourself!
Transportation Datasets We Used
Finally, here is the list of all the datasets we used to create the map above. Each will link to the original URL.
Transportation Open Data – OpenDataSoft’s customers network:
- Greater Paris airports dataset
- Greater Paris rail network dataset
- Autolib (shared car rental service) stations and spaces in the Greater Paris area dataset
- Transilien network stations dataset
- Greater Paris rail network stations dataset
- RATP (transportation operator) stations: geographical positions
- Taxi stations as found in the “Paris Taxis” mobile app
- Vélib stations – Availability in real-time
- European train stations
- Toulouse underground stations
- Toulouse tramway stations
- Toulouse shared car rental stations
- Toulouse shared bike rental system stations
- Toulouse cycling lanes
- Toulouse bus stations
- Rennes real-time position of buses in circulation
- Rennes underground next passage in real-time
- Agen buses lines
- Corsica transportation equipements
- Lorraine map of train stations (OpenStreetMap)
Transportation Open Data – Outside OpenDataSoft Customers Network:
- Greater Lyon underground and funicular network operated by TCL
- Greater Lyon Autopartage stations
- Greater Lyon tramway network operated by TCL
- Greater Lyon Vélo’V Stations
- Greater Lyon bus network operated by TCL
- Montpellier bike lanes
- Bordeaux electric vehicles charging stations
- Rennes Métropole electric vehicles charging stations
- Strasbourg shared bike rental system stations
- Marseille Provence Métropole bus network
- Métropole Nice Côte d’Azur harbors
- Nantes Métropole car sharing stations
Did you like these features offered by our Open Data solutions: interactive mapping, searchable data, rest API? Great, you should try our demo!