OpenDataSoft is excited to announce that Code for America Brigades now can have free access to our Open Data portal. Code for America Brigade leaders can sign up by filling out the form at the bottom of this page to receive their portal and to sign up for training. The portal offers the full functionality of the OpenDataSoft platform for an unlimited number of users, and up to 20 datasets (100,000 records max per dataset/2GB uncompressed raw data and 10,000 API calls a day).
Early brigade adopters
Take a look at some of the wins by early adopters of the Code for America Brigade portal:
Code for Cary
Code for Cary uses its OpenDataSoft Brigade Open Data Portal to populate the region’s first instance of Citygram. CSV files containing, for example, crime incidents obtained from Public Record Requests are uploaded each week onto the platform, transforming the information into Open Data. Finally, the OpenDataSoft API feeds a server that blends together the data from Raleigh, Durham, and Code for Cary’s Open Data portals. In addition, thanks to all of these resources, the brigade was able to develop an informative crime incident dashboard.
Code for Greensboro
Code for Greensboro is excited about its new projects made possible by their OpenDataSoft Brigade Open Data portal. Shortly after beginning to use the platform, they recreated Code for Boston’s interactive and mobile-responsive ‘Finda’ app, using the cartograph function, as well as OpenDataSoft’s open source widget library and pages function.
Features of the OpenDataSoft Open Data Portal
- OpenDataSoft has an open source front end. Configure the site as you want with HTML and CSS including developing pages for storytelling and real-time performance measurement.
- Performance Management Dashboards and other apps can be created on the base product – no add-on licenses are required.
- The OpenDataSoft platform is built to be responsive in screen resolution and in scale. The platform is built to scale very large amounts of data
- OpenDataSoft can pull data on any user-defined schedule, keeping data on the portal constantly refreshed. There is no need to invest further in developing a Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) to keep the datasets updated.
- Data can be easily transformed in the OpenDataSoft platform eliminating the need to perform an ETL step (Extraction, Transformation and Loading) before loading data into the platform.
- Data harvesting tools simplify the loading of datasets into the OpenDataSoft portal.
- OpenDataSoft includes fine-tuned security and access rights to the dataset, data subset and field level at the user, group or open security level to make sure you always share the right data with the right people.
Many of these features helped Durham, NC to launch Open Durham in 4 months with 500 datasets loaded, 162 public facing datasets, and 20 performance dashboards. A remarkable feat given that the more mature open data program of Raleigh, NC has 130 datasets and no performance dashboards after 3 years in operation.
In addition to the open data portal use case, there are many other capabilities of the OpenDataSoft platform that make it useful as an internal data marketplace, a data analytics platform and/or a data hub for Internet of Things (IoT)/Smart Cities programs. These may be of interest to your brigade or municipality as your programs develop over the next few years.
OpenDataSoft has headquarters both in Europe and the United States (OpenDataSoft LLC based out of North Carolina) with dedicated support.
What can you do with an OpenDataSoft brigade open data portal?
Contact us to schedule a demonstration, training and delivery of your OpenDataSoft brigade open data portal.